For Student members of the Phycological Society of America
In 1987, the Phycological Society of America established the Hannah T. Croasdale Endowment Fund. Income generated by the fund's endowment supports the Croasdale Fellowship program. This program is designed to encourage graduate students to broaden their phycological training by attending phycology courses at biological field stations. To that end, financial assistance is provided.
Eligibility: Applicants must be members of PSA. They must be currently enrolled in a graduate program or formally admitted at the time of the submission of the application.
Awards: Fellowship awards are made in the amount of up to $1,500 and are intended to defray costs incurred in taking the course: tuition, travel, room and board. Awards are made directly to the student. The purpose of the award is to broaden phycological training, not necessarily to further research goals. Fellowship support for attending technique courses may be requested from the Grants-in Aid Research Program.
Evaluation and Selection: Selection of recipients will be based on the overall merit and need of the applicant. These qualities will be judged from information provided in the completed application, transcripts, and a letter of recommendation from the applicant's major professor. Applications will be evaluated by the members of the PSA Grants and Fellowships Committee, and will be notified of the committee's decision as soon as it is available.
Application Procedure: To be eligible for consideration, send one (1) electronic copy (Adobe Acrobat format preferred) of all application materials to Amy Carlile (email) on or before March 1st. The applicant must complete the application (below). A copy of her/his transcript (unofficial copies are acceptable) must be submitted. The student must request a short letter of recommendation from his/her major advisor. Please have your advisor submit only one (1) copy of this letter to Amy Carlile (email) . The March 1 deadline also applies to the letter of recommendation. Applications and questions should be directed to Amy Carlile.
Successfully Funded Students: Students given awards will be required to submit 4 separate items. 1) A final report (1 page) that indicates the activity/course and how it benefited the student's education. 2) The student will be required to provide financial accounting (with receipts). 3) The student will be asked to provide a photograph of themself doing something professional and meaningful (e.g., learning about algal diversity at the beach). 4) A short paragraph of what the student did with the PSA funding suitable for posting on the PSA Website. All of these items should be submitted to Amy Carlile as soon as possible.
Application for Hannah T. Croasdale Fellowship
NOTE: Your application must address all items below, and you must insure that the complete application, including the letter of recommendation is received by the application deadline. Incomplete applications, in part or whole, received after the deadline will NOT be reviewed.
- Address (include mailing address, phone number, fax number, and email)
- Name, address, and phone number of major professor or advisor
- Education (Institution, Degree, Expected Completion Date, include work in progress)
- Briefly explain (justify) how attending this course will contribute to your educational and professional development and goals.
- Describe the proposed course, including the name and address of the field station where the course is offered. List the course title, number, credits, and the beginning and end dates.
- List expenses associated with attending this course.
- What specific expenses will be defrayed by the fellowship?
- List types and amounts of other support, including that from your institution and your personal funds available to support your attendance in this course.
- List all previous PSA support (e.g., Grant-in-Aid of Research, Hoshaw Travel support, previous Croasdale Fellowships). If any previous support was received describe how the current application differs from that previous award